PEOPLE DECIDE WHEN TO SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION
As part of Springbrook’s commitment to excellence for those we support, we will be sharing an Outcome of the Month for reflection with participants, staff, and administration. For August 2019, we bring you the outcome of “People Choose When to Share Personal Information!”
- People have access to their records and know what information is included.
- Information is shared only with the consent of the person or legally authorized representative.
- People decide who participates in meetings where personal information is discussed.
- People decide what happens to their record when services are terminated
PRINCIPLES FOR ORGANIZATIONS
- Request only the information necessary to provide supports and/or services.
- Limit access to people who need information and to others identified by the person or legally authorized representative.
- Ensure that staff members are knowledgeable about confidentiality laws.
- Make personal records available to people on request and assist them with interpretation, as needed
If you have any questions about the values and principles described, or how to facilitate a discussion with participants and your team, contact your supervisor. Thank you for your help in keeping Springbrook a leading service provider!