Driving is a task that requires constant attention to changing conditions. Many factors cause vehicular accidents, including road conditions, weather, and failure to follow basic safe driving rules. Winter drivers encounter unique hazards, including treacherous “black ice” that cannot easily be detected until it’s too late!
Allow for more time and take it slow!
● Winterize vehicles. Check batteries, tires, windshield wipers, washer fluid, and antifreeze. Keep
cell phones charged.
● Drivers should stay below the posted speed limits in bad weather and keep a safe
distance from the next vehicle.
● Be ready to reduce speed in case of sudden stops.
● Keep your lights on. Make sure other vehicles can see you.
● Use safe braking techniques to avoid skidding. Ease off the accelerator. If your vehicle has antilock brakes (ABS), brake firmly and steer. Without ABS, pump the brakes to avoid wheel lock-up. Always gently steer into a skid to regain control of the vehicle.